fbpx
A+ A-
A+ A-
Saint John evangelical church

Saint John evangelical church

Saint John evangelical church is a beautiful neo-gothic church located at ks. J. Karpecki Street. There is a cast of the head of Christ above the entrance, probably the work of August Karol Kiss. The church has a neo-gothic baptistery and a pulpit. The latter is decorated with low reliefs showing the main reformers of the protestant church. For many centuries Mikołów was also a home of a Jewish community which over the years set up a school and built a synagogue (1816). Now the only evidence of the Jewish presence in our city is a historic Jewish cemetery at Stara Droga Street.

There are also two wooden churches within the town boarders – a church dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul which dates back to the 2nd half of the 18th century and is located in Paniowy. The church has a late renaissance altar, baroque statues and a pulpit. The other wooden church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and is located in Borowa Wieś. It was originally built in Przyszowice, probably at the end of the 17th century or the beginning of the 18th century, and was transferred to its present location in 1930s. There is a square tower with a baroque dome and a lantern on its western side.

Another treasure is the brick church dedicated to Saint Nicholas in Bujaków which dates back to year 1500. There is a 1480 statue of the Mother of God. The church and the parsonage are surrounded by the Parish Botanical Garden with rare plants. There are 6 small-leaved limes considered to be natural monuments. The oldest is over 450 years old. In year 2000 archbishop Damian Zimoń declared this church the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Bujaków – Patron Saint of Natural Environment.

Logotypy UE